I recently bought a new domain name from a domain squatter. I used Sedo as the escrow and started the transfer on October 25th. Sedo are horribly slow and so I didn’t get the transfer completed until November 3rd. The first thing I did once I had the domain was attempt to set up Google Apps for my domain. I entered my domain name on their Standard edition signup form, only to be greeted with the following message:
This domain has been registered and is in the process of ownership verification. If you believe this registration was unauthorized, please have your domain administrator contact Google support.
Ok, so I guess the previous owner used Google Apps too. Figures. That shouldn’t be hard to fix, right? I did a little hunting around and found a Google help page that says:
The first thing to do is to visit the control panel login page for the domain. The control panel login page URL is https://www.google.com/a/your_domain.com. (Note: Your extension may vary eg: .com, .net, .org).
If this is a valid login page and you are the rightful owner of the domain name, you can reset the administrator password to gain access to the account. Please also contact other people in your organization who may be managing this account.
If it’s an invalid login page with a server error, this means the account is currently being deleted and you can sign up again in 5 days.
That’s annoying, but okay. At least I was seeing the server error message they mentioned. I figured I could wait 5 days. Besides, I’d started the transfer 9 days before, so there was a good chance the clock had already started counting.
It’s now November 12th and I’m still waiting for Google to release the account so I can set up my email. That’s 9 days since I got the domain in my possession and 18 days since I initiated the transfer.
I’m posting this in hopes that someone will have some suggestions on what I can do. Google makes it virtually impossible to get in touch with a real person on the Apps team. The fact that Google doesn’t have a straightforward process for resolving this is mind blowing to me.
I can’t possibly be the only person who has run into this situation. Anyone dealt with this before and have any tips on what I should do?
WIthin a couple hours of posting this, multiple people reached out to me offering to help and my domain was up and running shortly after. A huge thanks to everyone who reached out and got this resolved for me.