Looking for a job? Don’t be this guy.
I just received this email:
Please see my attached resume.
I’m very intelligent and creative. I have a very eclectic arsenals of skills for the solution of problems.
I’ve worked in numerous startups, including several of my own.
The sad thing is, I get an email like that just about every day. I thought I would share my response in hopes that it will help someone from making the same mistakes.
We’re not hiring right now, but here are a few free tips:
- “I’m very intelligent and creative.” doesn’t come off as confident, it comes off as cocky
- If you had spent 2 minutes looking at our site you would have known that my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org not careers, not jobs… just josh.
- No mention about what excites you about EventVue? Keep in mind I get several resumes in my inbox EVERY DAY. It’s not hard to get my attention. Comment on my blog. Send me an engaging question. @me on twitter. I’ll respond. Just don’t send me something that has been copied and pasted to a dozen different companies.
- “FW: about me” is your subject line? I’d work on that one a bit.
- We’re a startup trying to build cutting edge stuff. The fact that you sent me an email from a Hotmail account communicates that you aren’t much of an early adopter. That’s too bad, because I bet you’re a smart guy.
I understand that startups are different. Your career center probably didn’t tell you this stuff. That’s why I am.
Update. Reed responded:
Don’t worry I’m very creative and intelligent. It’s not a boast. It’s who I am.
If you read my resume then you know that I’m also an internationally known composer.
I can write top level music in any style you can think of, including the most modern remix and such.
I attached a song from one of my Cds. All my Cds have been in or near the 10 ten the country on jazz radio.
I have not only hotmail but gmail and facebook and twitter and others.
Anyway, I’ll keep your advice in mind.
I’ll check out your blog.
Not sure that helped, but at least now I know he’s a good composer. The music was pretty.